Best advice I was ever given was don’t read bad books.
I didn’t understand it at the time but as I grew older I have grown to appreciate and implement that phrase into my life. I now have several rules for reading books they seem to work for me and even though I have still read through a few bad books I haven’t finished them and I can finally admit that to the world.
Laura’s Rules to Reading:
1. Always read to page 100 even if the book is dull in the beginning.
2. Never look at the cover to determine if the book is worth my time. Covers lie!
3. I clap at the end of a great book. Even if the author can’t hear. The author still deserves it
4. Take time introducing yourself to the book. Read about the author bio and title page.
5. I read the first sentence and take 5 min to think about it and look at the cover
6. If you don’t like a book now save it for a few years and try to read it later in life you may appreciate the book more in a different stage of life.
7. Read a book more than once if you liked it.
8. Write to the author to express your feelings about the book. They don’t often write back but sometimes they do.
9. Even though I don’t like a book by a particular author I try to read something else by that author in a later or earlier publishing year.
Last Rule: Don’t be angry with yourself for putting a book down and not finishing it. Allow yourself to say that the book just wasn’t style. Someone else will finish it for you.